Here they are! The final two items in my Fall transitional wardrobe. I will be doing a round up of the entire thing later this week with an accompanying video to show you some of the different ways I'm planning on styling this little capsule.
Let's start with the sweater. This is the Rowan bodysuit from Megan Nielsen that I've chopped into a top.
I really can't express how pleased I am with this new turtleneck. I think I mentioned before the love affair with turtlenecks that started last year. I have a short neck and by the "rules" of fashion, I shouldn't wear turtlenecks. Well, turns out I really like them on me and am going to wear them regardless! This is my second time making this pattern. The first time I used a bamboo knit, but this time I used some of the marvelous merino knit from The Fabric Store. I am going to wear the daylights out of this top!
While I would technically call this a sweater, it is pretty light weight and going to be a fantastic layer piece/base layer for Fall and Winter. The merino is a super fabric in that it both warms and wicks (cools) naturally. I really think it will prove to go the distance.
I sewed the size large and only made a narrow shoulder adjustment of 3/4". As a note, this is very close fitting pattern with quite a bit of negative ease.
The final piece of this little collection is my new jacket! I used the Mimi G for Simplicty pattern S8174.
Like I mentioned in my plans video, I received some espresso colored "pleather" as free gift with purchase from an online order with Fabric Mart. I would LOVE to do an actual leather jacket with this pattern at some point, but the pleather was the perfect thing to use as a wearable muslin.
This pattern was amazing. It was very well drafted and I only needed to make my normal adjustments to the pattern.
- I sewed a straight size 14
- I did a 2" FBA to the princess seam (adding 4" across the entire bust)
- I did a 1" narrow shoulder adjustment
- I did a 1" full bicep adjustment
- I made the matching 2"FBA to the lining pattern and the facing
I really think the fit is spot on and I wouldn't make any additional adjustments to a future jacket.
The pattern features an asymmetrical zipper in the front, two zippered pockets on the front, epaulettes on the shoulder and tabs on the waist, a 2 piece sleeve, and is fully lined. I'm not going to sugar coat it. This pleather was a bit of a beast to work with. My zippered pockets are FAR from perfect and my topstitching is definitely subpar in areas, but I'm not a perfectionist in my personal sewing so none of this bothers me!
Again, this is a lined jacket and I had just enough of my fox cotton lawn to line the body of the jacket! I used a Bemberg rayon for the sleeves, however. Cotton is WAY to sticky to use in the sleeves of your jackets. You would never be able to pull your jacket on over anything with a sleeve!
While I would definitely rate this pattern as intermediate, Mimi G does a fantastic sew along on the Simplicity YouTube channel (she does sew-alongs for ALL her patterns on this channel). Because of that, I think any adventurous beginning could tackle this jacket (maybe use a more forgiving fabric, however!). It was a lot of fun to make!
I think that sums up the details of all four items I made for this Fall transitional wardrobe. Next, I will do a round up of these four items, plus a few more from my current wardrobe, to show you ho I plan tonwear and style these in the coming months!
Until next time!