I have completed the first item in my Fall transitional wardrobe. This is the Mimi G for Simplicity pattern S8084.
Clearly, I made the maxi version of this dress and it turned out exactly like I had pictured in my head. Don't you love it when that happens?!! Here are all the details and alterations that I made to this pattern:
- I sewed a straight size 16
- I did a narrow shoulder adjustment of 1"
- I shortened the skirt 4" - 2" above the view B line (the shorter length) and 2" below (I'm 5'2" for reference)
- I did a 1" full bicep adjustment
- I shortened the center back by 1" at CB and took it to nothing at the side seam
- The dress features a tab and cuff at the sleeve, gathers at the shoulder and sleeve and a hidden button placket the length of the dress.
- I substituted a velvet ribbon for the self fabric drawstring at the waist.
I used this beautiful cotton lawn that I purchased in Denver, CO at Fancy Tiger Crafts:
Because this is cotton, it sewed up like a complete dream. I really love the way this dress turned out and I have a feeling it's going to get a lot of wear this Fall. I have already styled it, in my head, in a few different ways and I will be sure and share those in my Fall transitional wardrobe roundup video in September! Now, without further ado, here are the detailed pictures of me in the dress swaning about my backyard. You're welcome.
As far the pattern goes, it was very well drafted and the instructions were very clear. Mimi also has a sew-along for this pattern on Simplicity's YouTube channel for anyone that's nervous about sewing a shirtdress, which I find a fantastic feature!
That wraps the details for the first of four items I plan on making for my Fall transitional wardrobe.
Until next time!