Hello! Well, today is my last installment for March and it's a bit of a lovefest for Sew Over It's Ultimate Shift Dress. You see, I had planned on making my bonus fabric (the lilac wool crepe) in this pattern for my Easter dress. Being the rebel that I am, I decided to not do a muslin and just cut into the fabric. This version is a little tight across the bust and in the arms, which I fixedin dress number two. But, let's not get ahead of ourselves. Let's talk about this beauty first!
Isn't the color lovely? Wool crepe is one of my all time favorite fabrics to work with. Unfortunately, we are getting out of that season, so you probably won't see anymore until the fall, but we can bask in this lilac goodness. Because of the solid color, I thought it could use a little trim detail. I picked up this fantastic crocheted trim at my local fabric store. I love the gray with the lilac.
The back of this dress is very simple. It uses a keyhole opening with a simple hook and eye closer. Because I was getting fancy, I decided to use a loop and button. I made the loop with some leather cording in my stash and the button was also from the stash.
The pattern itself actually uses facings to finish off the neckline, but since I was using wool, I wanted a full lining. Isn't it fun?
I have had this silk charmuse in my stash for a while now. I'm pretty sure I bought it on sale and have just never had an occasion to use it. It's perfect for the insides of my new dress! If you're curious on how to add a lining to a dress that doesn't have one, it's quite simple. I simply cut out the entire dress in the silk and sewed it together just like the wool. The only difference was that I left a hole in one of the side seams of the lining. I then bagged the lining into the dress. After I had everything turned right side out, I sewed up the hole in the lining. Very easy. For a great tutorial on how to bag a lining, check out Jen's. She is bagging a coat in this post, but it works the same way.
All in all, I am very pleased with how this one turned out. Because Easter was a little cooler this year, it worked perfectly.
And now for the Shibori reveal. This fabric has been through a lot, but here it is in it's final form:
Since I loved the Shift Dress pattern so much, I lowered the bust darts, added 1/2" as a FBA, and added about 1/2" to the width of the sleeve.. It was then ready for another round. I was quite upset when I couldn't figure out a way to make my culotte pattern fit onto my silk, but I rallied after my Easter dress and decided this fabric really wanted to be another shift dress. I'm in love with this! Isn't it crazy how different the fabric hangs in a different weight of fabric? This is so much drapier.
In fact, after looking at the pictures, I think I'll probably end up belting it to give my shape a little more definition. I belted Sally to get a feel for how it would look and I like it.
The colors are everything I had hoped they would be. Because my crepe de chine was a bit see through in the sun, I decided to line with one as well. However, with this one, I just lined the body of the dress with some silk crepe de chine in my stash. I left the sleeves unlined. I also left this lining free hanging. This means the hems were done separately and are connected by a hang tack that keeps the lining from twisting during wear.
I also decided to follow the pattern and just used a hook and eye for the closer in the back.
All in all, the Ulitmate Shift dress is definitely on it's way to becoming a TNT pattern for me. In fact, I have a few ideas on turning this into a top for my April makes . . .
Until next time!