Another month, another #sewmystyle18 pattern review! This month they went a bit rogue again and chose a lingerie pattern instead of your standard garment pattern. Our choices consisted of 2 bra patterns and 2 panty patterns. We were asked to pick one of each (one bra and one underwear) to complete for the challenge. The patterns were all from the lovely Evie La Luve pattern collection. We could chose between the Darcy Bra or the Willow Bra and between the Binky Panties or the Frankie Panties.
After much back and forth, I decided on the Darcy Bra and Binky Panties.
Both patterns come with a load of variations and they each even have add on patterns available for purchase, if I so desire in the future! For this first set, however, I decided to just try out the basic version (or version 1) for both. I was pretty sure I would need to make fitting adjustments on both so I wanted to keep it simple.
I made no adjustments to either pattern, but sewed up a medium in the panty and a L in the bra. These were based on my measurements. The panties fit pretty great right off the bat. I do, however want to narrow the crotch width a bit. The edges get folded a bit in the crease of my leg, but narrowing that area will be super easy in future iterations.
The basic pattern uses just three pattern pieces and comes together really quickly. Her instructions are very straight forward and she has quite a few YouTube videos available to help with any tricky bits. I used scraps of scuba for my set with some coordinating FOE (fold over elastic) from my stash. The crotch lining was made using a scrap of organic cotton jersey. I will say that FOE has always been a bit of an Achilles heel for me. While it seems so easy when watching application videos, I always struggled with it being SUPER wavy and stretched out at the end. Her tips for applying FOE in the Darcy Bra Sew Along, were super helpful. Basically, I needed to be using a longer 3 step zig zag stitch and I shouldn’t have been pulling anything taut in the final pass through where I actually fold the elastic over. It solved all my problems and I had such great results on both of these pieces! I am now an FOE convert!
While the panties needed just a small adjustment, I’m going to need to figure out an FBA for the bra. I sewed up the size that was recommended for my bust measurement and was hopeful when she said she was a DD (which I am as well) and made no adjustments. The end result was a band that needs about 2” off the length and cups that are too small. I’m pretty sure that by doing a standard “to the shoulder” princess seam FBA should do the trick, though. When making this bra I used all scraps from my stash and even salvaged the bra hooks and sliders from an old worn out bra.
Like the panties, this bra sewed up in no time and was a pretty easy sew. She has a fantastic sew along for this bra (among quite a few of her other patterns) and it takes you through everything. As with the underwear, I was equally pleased with my FOE application (for the first time ever!).
These were two really great patterns that I can’t wait to tweak and then make a TON of iterations! I have a sewing retreat coming up at the end of January and I plan on perfecting these patterns before then so I can redo my entire lingerie drawer. They are such a fantastic scrap busting project for all your knit scraps.
As always, I will leave you with a video containing more info if you’re interested!
Until next time!