Hello, again! I'm taking a quick break from my Fall transitional wardrobe to bring you my August #sewmystyle reveal! This month's pattern is the Halifax Hoodie by Hey June Patterns.
I intended to make view E, but ran out of fabric for the cowl, so I settled for view B, with a wider neckline (I had already cut the neckline for View E. Oops!). I will say that I was on the fence about this pattern. I wasn't feeling overly inspired by a hoodie, but since the whole idea behind the challenge is to push you out of your comfort zone and to encourage you to be creative, I decided to move forward. It didn't take me long to decide how I wanted to use this pattern.
I have mentioned before that I am also participating in the Ready-to-Wear Challenge this year as well. This challenge is to not purchase any ready-to-wear for the entirety of the year. Like Sew My Style, this challenge was to encourage creativity and to also push you outside of your comfort zone. I believe that it is because of this challenge that I finally made myself some activewear. More specifically, I made myself some golfing attire!
My husband and I are heading South in October for a little celebratory getaway. We have decided to play some golf while we are down there and my golfing wardrobe was laughable. I decided to just purchase a couple of patterns and start with one outfit. I'm so glad I did. I have actually already worn this entire outfit to play a round and I'm happy to say that it served me very well.
I will start off with the layering piece - the Halifax Hoodie. When I was reviewing the Sew my Style patterns for the rest of the year, I knew this would make a wonderful top layer for the cooler mornings of a round of golf. I also knew it would help carry my ensemble into the Fall!
I found the wrap around side seams to be very flattering and different.
I used a performance knit that I found at JoAnn's and I'm really impressed with their stuff! I guess I would describe this fabric as a scuba as it has that kind of bonded properties. It is 100% polyester and is one of their "wicking" fabrics so basically perfect for any activewear application.
Like I mentioned above, I ran out of fabric to make the cowl for View E, but had already cut the neckline larger for View E. However, I really like how it ended up and I think it helps to layer nicely over my golf polo!
The only alteration I made to this pattern was the neckline whoopsie and I shorted the sleeves by an inch (I'm short with short limbs!).
For the skort, I used a Multi-Sport Skort pattern from Jalie. While I'm sure its actually intended for running and possibly tennis, it works perfectly for golfing!
I used the same performance knit as the sweatshirt and then used a purple nylon/lycra from my stash for the contrasting parts.
The side panels make up these nifty little side pockets that are perfect for golf balls and tees. I also used my coverstitch machine to highlight all the seams and to make them lie flat on the inside to discourage any chaffing or uncomfortableness!
I made no alterations to this pattern.
Finally, I sewed up a collared shirt to finish the ensemble. I used another Jalie Pattern: the Women's Polo shirt.
Again, I used a performance knit from JoAnn's. This one is almost a mesh fabric so is extremely breathable. It's also reversible so I took advantage of that for the placket. The only two alterations I made to this pattern was to omit the sleeves and shorten the bodice (I like most of my t-shirt type tops of have a finished side seam of 15"). To omit the sleeves, I just folded over the seam allowance and used my coverstitch to finish it off. I will say, however, that I used a fusible knit stay tape on the armsyce to deter any waviness or stretching of that area. It seems to have worked pretty well!
The placket on this pattern did come out a bit low for me. A large bust and a plunging placket do not make a great combination unless you're going for "sexy" golfer, which I am not! I'll probably raise it an inch for my next iteration.
That pretty much sums up my first golfing outfit. There will definitely be more of all three patterns. All three were easy to sew and were very functional on the course!
Next up will be the two tops I made for my Fall transitional wardrobe, so keep an eye on this space.