So here she is: the skirt pattern from B5719 sewn as-is. As you can see, it's a pretty simple straight skirt pattern. As a refresher, here are the line drawings for all the patterns included in the pattern:
I sewed up a size 14, but ended up eliminating the front darts. There is only a 6 inch difference between my hip and waist measurements so I picked my size based on my hip measurement. This, however, made the waist rather snug so I needed some room. Also, because I am pretty straight from my waist to my hips from the front (most of my hip measurement comes from the trunk!), I will usually eliminate front darts because they are simply not needed. The back darts, however, are always needed and I even deepened those to accommodate my rather large sway back (again, due to the trunk.)
This particular skirt is just a muslin that I made using some leftover fabric from another project. I'm not a huge fan of straight skirts (I prefer them either A-line or pegged) so I knew this would be made purely to figure out fit. Speaking of fit:
Aside from the fact that the skirt is horribly wrinkly in these pictures, I think I got the fit pretty perfect so I am now ready to move forward! I will now trace this pattern onto separate pattern paper and it will become my skirt sloper. From here I will use the sloper to create a couple of different skirt variations that I will actually wear this summer! My plan is to take pictures of the drafting process for each variation so, if you are so inclined, you can try your hand at changing up a skirt pattern for yourself!
Stay tuned for the first variation!