Adventures in Dyeing

Hello!  Today I've popped in to share some "after" photos of a dyeing session I had with my friend Sarah last Saturday night.  If you follow me in Instagram, I posted our before pictures.  Here are the results:

On Instagram I posted an odd looking picture of a wad of fabric rubber banded around corks.  It looked weird going into the dye, but I really liked how it turned out!  Last time we dyed using procion dyes for our silk.  This time, because we are cheap and haven't invested in the fancy stuff, we used plain old Rit that you can get pretty much anywhere.  We wrapped this crinkle rayon (from the Spot the Bolt section at Hancocks) that started out ivory around various corks, twisted the fabric and then rubber banded each one.  I then applied some green, coral and navy using a squirt bottle.  I was really pleased with the results.  Unfortunately, so was my daughter.  She has laid claim to this piece of fabric and plans to make herself a shirt, I believe.

This was my one piece of silk that I dyed.  I'm not too in love with how this one turned out.  it's unfortunate because the silk has a stripe with embroidered flowers that is quite pretty. It's been in my stash for ages waiting to be dyed so I might go back and over dye this piece so it's more usable for me.

This one is my favorite.  I bought white cotton gauze at Hancock's on their Spot The Bolt table.  I paid $3 a yard for this and bought all 3 yards that were left.  I folded this accordion style (like you would fold a paper fan) and then submerged it in navy dye.  I love the purple color that it faded into.  I have no idea what I'm going to do with it, but it will be something light and airy for summer.

This is my final piece.  After my first try I hated the results.  You see, I was given this fabric for free and was under the impression it was silk.  After trying to dye it a dark Kelly green it came out mint green.  It wasn't even a pretty mint.  Perplexed I folded it accordion style (like the gauze) and then dunked it in a mixture of the remaining navy, black and royal blue.  It stayed in this bath for the rest of the night and this was the end result.  I actually quite like how it turned out in the end.  I did come home and do a burn test on one of the corners.  It's totally a polyester.  This would explain why it was resistant to the dye.  Oh well, I think it will sew up quite nicely.

This is all I have for you today.  I have finished sewing up all my planned March garments and as soon as I can pin down my photographer (Mr. TomKat Stitchery), I will get the photos up.  I have been very pleased with all my makes this month and can't wait to share them!

Until next time . . .